I live in the San Francisco Bay Area with my husband of 18 years, our 3 kids and our mini-labradoodle “Cooper”. I was born in New Zealand, so I am a dual citizen I also spent 7 years of my childhood in Hawaii. So I love to explore flavors from various cuisines and I am always up to try something new, if I haven’t made it or tried it, it becomes a new challenge! As you can probably tell, I am beyond passionate about food and cooking, always reading and studying new things in the culinary world in an effort to keep learning and to increase knowledge. A self-proclaimed “food nerd”, an avid home cook, food and wine enthusiast, I love to cook and entertain for our family and friends. When I say that I have an “elegant” culinary point of view, to me, elegant eats are everyday recipes, elevated with a few other ingredients or techniques to make them stand out from the ordinary. My food is fresh, homemade, sometimes healthy (sometimes not) and has a rustic flair – comfort food with a California edge.
I’m an organized home cook, ingredients are always prepped before I start and you won’t see a pile of dirty dishes in my sink, cleaning as I go helps me keep my sanity. I’m also a big fan of doing as much prep ahead of time as possible, or choosing recipes that you can start earlier in the day, but then free yourself up, whether it be to help kids with homework or sit and chat with guests.
My dad was my cooking inspiration…he’s the one who got me into the kitchen and during my adult years, he would visit us from New Zealand for 3 months at a time. We enjoyed many nights in the kitchen cooking together, glass of wine in hand. First thing in the morning, he would ask “What’s for dinner?”, I used to think it was crazy and now I understand. It’s the first thing I think about when I wake up and I then plan my day around. Dinner every night together as a family is very important to me, a point each day to reconnect with everyone’s busy schedules. My kids now ask what’s for dinner during morning carpool and my heart is immediately warmed. I cook because I love the joy it gives me to share incredible tasting food with those who matter most. I live to eat, not eat to live. Life moves quickly and although this was not my first calling, it is definitely my next. I can’t wait to share my culinary journey with you!
- Featured on ABC’s The Chew, Winner of the “You on The Chew” Recipe Showdown Feb. 2018.
- My Carnitas Tacos were also featured on a GMA segment with Gordon Ramsay in Sept. 2018.
- Chef Ambassador for Hestan Culinary since May, 2018 for Hestan NanoBond cookware; focusing on cooking demos in Williams-Sonoma stores and other retailers, film technique videos and recipe development.
- Culinary school experience
- Culinary Volunteer at Pebble Beach Food & Wine – worked with the nation’s top chefs.
- Chosen as a Brand Ambassador for Traeger Grills & invited to the headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah March ’19 to help launch their new redesigned Traeger Grills.
- Invited to the Traeger headquarters in SLC, Utah to help launch their new redesigned Traeger grills, March 13-15, 2019
- Featured multiple times by Anova Culinary for my sous vide cooking techniques and recipes.
- Mentioned onstage by Celebrity Chef Tyler Florence at the Smart Kitchen Summit in Oct. ’18 as an example of the “Connected Chef” (can be seen on YouTube).
- 1st Place Recipe Contest Winner with JSL Foods for developing a recipe for Bahn Mi Egg Rolls
- Featured in the very 1st blog post, as well as IG and Twitter for Everything Food Score with Monti Carlo (FN and CC) for my Short Rib Ragu Pasta Jan. 2019, featured again with my Chicken & Broccoli Recipe Feb. 2019
- Invited to an Influencer Sneak Peak of Mendocino Farms in a new San Ramon location, 3/12/19
- Blog recipes and photos featured on Foodgawker.com
- ServSafe certified
“This dish looks amazing…has everyone met AlyR ? She’s a good friend of mine. An amazing up and coming Chef and Food Blogger. She digs deep and cranks out beautiful food everyday. Totally worth a follow. Check her out!” – Celebrity Chef Tyler Florence, via Twitter 3/4/18